How Do My Actions Effect Others?

     This week in my family relations class we learned a lot about different theories regarding the family. There were four main theories: Exchange Theory, Symbolic Interaction Theory, Conflict Theory, and Family Systems Theory. My favorite one we discussed and the one I think the most of us struggle with is the Symbolic Interaction Theory. This one means that sometimes we misinterpret other's actions and a certain behavior  symbolizes a certain emotion. For example, when I was a pre-teen, I would be in my room, and my mother would be in the kitchen a ways away. She would call my name to come do something, but I usually couldn't hear her too well, so I'd yell, "hang on!" And because I was yelling to try to help her hear me, she took my yelling as a sign that I was showing an attitude and that I was annoyed with whatever I was about to help with.
     I also have noticed this when I interact with my friends. Usually my best friend, Rylee is super happy and always cracking jokes and laughing with me. However, some days she will be very quiet and I will think I've done something to make her mad. I'll ask her very casually if I have made her mad, and she'll reply with something like, "What? Why would you think I'm mad at you?" and I'll reply with my observation of her quietness, and usually she will say, "Oh no not at all! I'm just super tired and I didn't even notice I was being so quiet!"
     I think this happens to all of us, and now that it has come to my attention, I really would like to try to make sure I don't give off a certain vibe with something I do. Of course we will always have our natural reactions to things, but just imagine how much sweeter a friendship could be, or how much more honest a marriage could be if we were just a little more aware of how people interpret our actions and words. I challenge you to look out for ways people you interact with do this with you. I promise you it will help you become much closer to those you care about if you are sensitive to how they are feeling!

Comments

  1. I am so paranoid. If my friend is acting different I always think I did something. I k ow I do the same thing sometimes though. Like I'll be quiet when normally I'm super talkative but people think I'm sad. I never really think about what vibe I'm putting out. Hmmm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Warm Welcome!

Social Status & Cultures...Do They Really Matter?